Monday, March 15, 2010

Gardening Ain't For Sissies!

We had a deluge of rain here in the
northeast, it started raining Friday night
 and hasn't stopped yet!
Now I'm not talking about your typical
'occasional showers' kind of days, I'm
talking downright crazy rain!
We've had over 5 inches and it's been
hailing and thundering to boot.
You can well imagine that it's not fit
to garden around these parts just yet, and
it just might take some time to
dry out enough to even think about
digging in the dirt.
Since I'm pretty big on dreaming,
and dreaming of time in the
garden is pretty much what fills
my head this time of year, I
decided to peruse some
gardening magazines (as it's the next
best thing as actually getting into the dirt).


Now this is not me mind you,
but when I saw this picture in a
magazine I about wet my pants  laughing!
I don't know about you gals but I never
garden in a dress or barefoot for that matter!
...and I seldom find myself surrounded by
friends, laughing while I garden.
Trust me when I tell you that I am mostly alone
when I venture out to do any type of
garden work.
My own children know enough to stay
away lest I ask them to pull a weed
or two.
Actually that's probably why I love
it so much, it's pretty much me, nature
and God out there.
Even Life Magazine tried to glamourize
gardening back in the day,
when having a 'victory garden' was
considered our civic duty.
Now seriously, dresses and heels, perfect white gloves,
hair neatly coifed?
They even
tried to sell it as a great social time.

(at least these ladies are dressed for it)
I can tell you for certain you won't ever find
me gracing the pages of your favorite
gardening issue. I don't look good enough!
I'm usually in my grubbiest clothes,
 hair disheveled, dirt under my fingernails,
a general mess. I work hard out there,
digging, raking, hauling 50 lb.
bags of soil, lugging huge planters,
trust me it ain't pretty!
I've suffered countless injuries and bruises
including breaking bones in both feet
over the years.
Like I said, gardening ain't for sissies!
Could you imagine the shape
I'd be in if I wore a dress and heels???

15 comments:

  1. G'eve ~ I actually remember both my Mother & my DHs Mother gardening in their dresses, they would NEVER have thought to wear slacks/pants ... nor would my Gma's. We all worked side by side, but we kids didn't like gardening as children.

    TY for joining me for a visit, I hope there will many more. Good luck in my giveaway.

    Happy St Patrick's Day ~
    Have a beautiful week.
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh! Heels and a dress in the garden! Who are they kidding? You're right....gardening ain't for sissies or for well-dressed people. You need to get down and dirty in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute post. You're right. gardening ain't for sissies. This post does make me want to get out in the yard and do some gardening.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first picture looks like my feet most of the winter here in Oregon on the farm. I live in my Muck boots! But in the summer I spend a lot of time barefoot in the garden. Alone. With dirty messy clothes on. Dirt under my fingernails. Not smiling with my girlfriends in our dresses and heels! Thanks for the humorous post. Hope your rain stops soon and you don't flood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not for sissies for sure. We are hoping to put in a nice vegetable garden when we get moved and settled. One is never closer to God than when in a garden. At least I like to think so!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol...i can relate not that i am overly a gardener, but messy is the way to go...thanks for sharing...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the one with the flowery apron!

    I have never gardened with an apron on...

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is they never touched dirt if they look that pristine! :) I'll come over and we'll put on our ruffled aprons and our low heels. We'll laugh and chat while we garden! Fa la laaaa! Thank goodness times have changed. And I like being alone in the garden. It's a great place to think. Have a great week - xo Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heels and white gloves! Doesn't that just beat all?! When I used to be able to garden, instead of manage gardening like I do now, at the end of every gardening session, I would look as though someone had tied a rope to me, hitched it to a freshly plowed field and dragged me through it for a couple of acres.

    Too funny.

    We've had a rain marathon here since Friday morning. I woke up this morning and some weird gray spots on my skin caught my eye.....MILDEW! I am not officially spore-infested. MWAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do agree, a garden is a most peaceful place. And, if truth be told, I do step into the garden barefoot...it is quite lovely really.

    It will not be long before you can once again play in the soil Diva...a few warm, sunny days and you shall be planting lovelies.

    Peaceful blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, Ha! So true. Isn't that the way of most magazine articles, all very glamorized. Maybe the first lovely girl in the sundress was cooking and needed some fresh herbs and ran out really quick to snip some chives for her potatoes or rosemary for her chicken. I miss having Spring fever. I know I shouldn't complain because I live where it's beautiful almost all year round. But, I really do miss that longing for Spring and the excitement when the crocus and forsythia start to bloom. Have a lovely dry day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the way Donna Reed or Harriet Nelson would have gardened. Dresses and white gloves. Really dating myself here. LOL! Talk about hoeing a bare toe!
    I agree friends are never around when the digging starts. LOL!Such a fun posting.Thanks for the chuckle.
    Lona

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word...love all those gardening-in-dresses photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello sweet lady...

    Well...I certainly had a good laugh with your gardening post today, my friend! Oh yes, can you even begin to imagine...gardening in a dress and heels? OMG...WHATEVER!!! Hehe! But I got a great laugh at all of those great photos! Too cute! Thanks for sharing them with us! Ohhh my, it sounds like you've been really getting the weather...lots of rain! I think that we would have to build an ark if we were to get 5 in.! Hehe! We are actually supposed to be in the 50's all this week...well until Friday and then they are forecasting more snow! Grrrr!!!

    Thank you so much for coming by and taking a peek at my newly decorated "Spring Green" dining room, my friend! I really enjoyed your sweet note! Thank you!!!

    Have a fabulous day...dreaming about getting out in that garden!!!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought about gardening in the way of having time to yourself. Must be so rewarding to see your garden so beautiful.
    The magazine articles were funny and you are so right!

    Hugs!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete