Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Few of My Favotire Things

    Have you ever wondered why we are drawn to certain things, what it is about some objects that capture our attention? I have always had a love of all things old, vintage, well worn and loved. 


    I think it probably stems back to my childhood, while I have a few things that belonged to my Mom, there aren't many. You see my parents came to this country with very little and through hard work and determination they built a life for themselves and their children. Possessions were few and stepping foot in the 'Promised Land' gave way to the American ideal that new was better. My Parents didn't save objects, if things wore out their usefulness they were replaced with newer, better things. If they still had some life in them they were passed on. Many of my own clothes and toys were frequently recycled and sent back to the homeland to help those who needed them.Don't get me wrong, my parents were frugal and didn't have much but I guess because they had to leave behind so much when they came to the U.S. they didn't get sentimental over possessions.

    I never really gave it much thought growing up and I certainly didn't mind giving away my things. I had been to Portugal enough times growing up to know the poverty and need that existed. Actually it was a good learning experience and has taught me to be generous and kind to those who are less fortunate.
    I believe that this did fuel a love of all things vintage, I am captivated by the history of things. I often find myself wondering where an item came from, who used it last. Was it something passed down from a mother to a daughter? Were the stitches of embroidery done by someone's beloved aunt or grandmother? Were the dishes used to feed a large extended family, did the linens grace the Sunday dinner table?

   Some things I simply love for their uniqueness or design. It's as if each piece speaks to my heart. Perhaps because I never grew up with grandparents or because there are so few momentos left from my own childhood, I cherish these items.
    When I find an item that calls to me I feel this need to bring it home, to give it new life. I find myself wondering how someone's heirlooms ended up in a thrift shop or antique store. How did a family let go of a piece of their history? Perhaps like my own parents they were simply passed on until they no longer held any significance to the owner, maybe the carefully embroidered tablecloth was not appreciated by the great great niece who came to own it.


    I realize they are only things but to me they carry a story, they were once loved by someone and so I scour countless places to bring home someone elses history. Over the next few posts I shall share some of the things that have come home to live with me, perhaps some of you will recognize them and remember when your Mom or Grandmother had one just like it. I hope you enjoy a 'few of my favorite things' and perhaps a trip down memory lane!
  

5 comments:

  1. Diva, I could have written those words because it's exactly how I feel about vintage things!!! Now you know why I love going to the auction every week! lol I always wonder who owned it, where did they use it, etc. As I get older, more and more do I appreciate anything vintage and giving them new life by decorating my home with them:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diva! I like vintage things, too. And maybe for some of the same reasons. My Mom was never very sentimental about 'things', she was raised on a farm, and had a farmer's mindset. Now, when I see something in a thrift store I love, I 'rescue' it before it can be broken. :) Of course, I don't NEED any of it, but it makes me happy! xo Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love to listen to the stories antiques seem to tell...I shall look forward to seeing, and hearing, the stories that your favourite things have told you!
    Blessings always,
    ~ J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not realize how much I like vintage things till it was too late. I could have had so many interesting things from my past, but never kept them. At the time, things like that was not important to me. As you get older, your priorities change. I regret not keeping them. Thank goodness you kept some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diva, I took two naps yesterday and missed this post!

    You know how I feel about vintage! These are all lovely. Green is Chef Stu's favorite color....and would look lovely in every room of my house!!!

    ReplyDelete