Wednesday, July 15, 2009

On the Road Again...

Sorry I haven't posted since my vacation in PA...I have spent the last ten days playing catch up! As you can well imagine that two weeks away left quite a bit to be done when I got back home...cleaning, laundry gardening and more packing, yes packing! My sixteen year old son (the youngest) and I are leaving for CT early friday morning for eight days. Every year a group of adult leaders (myself included) take approximately 50+ high school students on a work camp/religious retreat. We spend the week painting interiors, exteriors, deck building, making wheel church ramps, basically anything they ask us to do...to serve underprivileged families across the US. This year we travel to CT...past years we have been to Idaho, Michigan, Virginia, Ohio, NC, AZ, WA etc...it's an amazing journey and we get to do God's work for people in need. We are paired up with teenagers and adults from churches across the US and we always make new friends! Please keep us all in your prayers and I look forward to the time when I can relax enough to actualy get better at this blogging thing. I shall return on the 26th and look forward to reading all about what you've all been up to...I will miss you!

12 comments:

  1. What a great experience!

    Hey, I thought Ct. was all gorgeous and ritzy-hahaha. I'm a Long Islander by birth. Easy Coast is what I grew up with:)

    Thank you for your nice comments on my baby's birthday:) Your banner is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My middle daughter did a program in Mass. called Crossroad, thru Hellenic College. We are Eastern Orthodox (Russian Orthodox), and the program is through the Orthodox college.

    She did outward bound type things(like climbing high in the trees, tethered by very little- a 'trust' experience), fed the homeless, visited many different churches...visited the elderly as companionship,etc..

    Helping in restoration and building is so admirable. I would have liked that as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome experience! I hope you will take lots of pix and share them with us when you return. What a great cause. You and your group will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful way to mentor youth! It will be a great learning experience for everyone involved I'm sure:>) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diva, many thanks for your comment. Please feel free to use the poem to share with your youth! I shall keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment and stopping by. Sounds like you really are going to be busy for a while. Have fun and stay safe.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like something I would like to do! Taking kids on a work retreat:) WOW, What an exhilerating experience! I was a teacher all my life and really enjoyed taking the senior's on their trip every year. Hope you have a great time:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great experience! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking part in my giveaway! Good luck to you! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by for a visit! I totally understand the craziness that follows vacation. I hope you are having a tremendous time on your "working" vacation. I've done a few of those myself and they are always wonderful times.
    Blessings,
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thought I'd stop by and answer some of your questions about the World's Longest Yard Sale. This year, we came back home every night. Two years ago, we parked our camper at a campground and used that as our "base". It is kind of hard to figure how far you'll make it each day, but typically less than 100 miles. There is just SO much to see and the traffic moves slowly. If you decide to stay in a hotel, it is best to book it way in advance, as they fill up. Pulling a trailer through all the traffic is kind of difficult, because you are pulling off to stop at sales so often. Easier to just take a large vehicle if you can. There are lots of other tips, if you decide to go next year, I'd be happy to write with some "pointers".
    :)
    ~Becca~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by, and hope you will visit again. The mission trip sounds great. My husband has done many of them, and my children too. I see that you have not been blogging long. I am not an expert by any means but would be glad to help any way I can. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness you are busy. I am not half that busy and I find blogging can be difficult..but so much fun when you are up to it.

    ReplyDelete